If you plan to deploy SAP Business One, you need to decide which version of ERP to choose. Depending on the type of database, you have two options: SAP Business One for Microsoft SQL (standard relational database) or SAP Business One for SAP HANA (database on in-memory computing technology).
In recent years, more and more customers who manage large volumes of data are choosing the SAP HANA version, for much higher working speed and advanced analytical capabilities. Globally, 13.400 companies using SAP have opted for SAP HANA and a survey of the SAP German-Speaking User Group (DSAG) found that 49% of SQL users plan to migrate to SAP HANA in the next three years.
Articles such as “What exactly is SAP HANA and why it is a better option than SQL – (What exactly is SAP HANA and why it is a better option than SQL – (sysinconsult.ro)” also mattered, but rather, the constant increase in the volume of digital data produced in the business activity was important. In a simple explanation, SAP HANA is a turbo database. It integrates proprietary in-memory processing technology to increase performance and allow the analysis of large volumes of data in real time. When records in a company’s ERP system reach terabytes, SQL technology is no longer efficient for real-time reporting and dashboarding. In this situation, SAP HANA is the best option.
Advantages of using SAP Business One version for SAP HANA
The SAP Business One version for SAP HANA offers the advantage of analytical, management-relevant business perspectives in addition to the operational ones offered by SQL. Working with real-time updated figures, managers have the necessary basis to support decisions. Moreover, this is possible with a single digital platform, which combines transactional and analytical functionalities. Thus, technology costs are lower and depreciation faster, compared to a system consisting of separate solutions for ERP and Business Analytics.
SAP HANA brings a faster processing speed and is accessible to any company. Using in-memory database technology, the ERP system processes data, analyzes records and runs reports in real time. Users no longer have to wait for a report to complete and have instant access to all the data needed in their daily work. The time saved is significant and decisions can be made on the spot.
For decision-makers, dashboards are the biggest gain. SAP Business One on SAP HANA version constantly designs and updates the most relevant data on each user’s requirements. For example, for the clients in Romania (users from the management category) the most frequent dashboards, which we created in the last year, were:
- Invoiced versus Received, last year / current year
- Key performance indicators
- Sales on Customers this month
- Sales by Items (Categories) this month
- EUR sales for the current year, for each month
- Sales last 5 years
- Top Customers this year
- PL Current Year
This is vital information for managers and without the real-time analytics features of SAP HANA, its display in the ERP system would not have been possible.
General features of SAP Business One version of SAP HANA
- Drag and drop reports. Creating reports is simple and does not require assistance from administrators. Users extract data with a drag and drop system directly into a pivot table for easy and intuitive viewing.
- KPI monitoring. The SAP HANA version allows the creation and real-time monitoring of specific performance indicators, with drilldown options for access to details.
- Predefined dashboards. The system allows the creation of dashboards that display the most relevant data for each user, with updated values in real time.
- High-performance searches. Finding information in the ERP system is much easier with SAP HANA, the experience is similar to Google searches.
- Smart forecasts: Cash flow forecast, real-time inventory forecast, stock availability for scheduled deliveries, etc.
- Publish and share documents through an analytical portal with user-level access rights to its report.
- Modern cockpit HTML interface.
- Web client availability and mobile application. For example, the SAP Business One Sales mobile application exists only for the SAP HANA version.
SAP HANA is currently an option, but in the long run SAP has announced the intention to support only solutions that run this database. Every customer has the freedom to choose the right technology.